Gas Furnace Repair and Installation for Greater Atlanta Homeowners

Install a high-efficiency gas furnace to cut heating and cooling costs without sacrificing comfort

Gas furnaces have had their efficiency increase substantially over the past decade. 10 years ago, a perfectly functioning gas furnace would operate usually at 65% efficiency. At the time, that was decent, but now much more efficient furnaces have become easily affordable for most homeowners.

Today, an affordable furnace operates at 95-96% efficiency. You can get up to 98% efficiency, but that increases the cost of the furnace quite a bit. Even with a 95% efficient furnace, that’s still a 20% drop in your gas bill versus a 75% efficient furnace. In addition, much of the efficiency gains to be made in your home don’t come with replacing your furnace.

How do you understand efficiency with furnaces?

Sometimes, efficiency terminology can be confusing in HVAC. Some companies misrepresent words to mean things they don’t so they can convince you you’re getting more efficiency and savings than you think.

With furnaces, efficiency is not difficult to understand. Furnaces use what’s called an “AFUE” rating. AFUE stands for “Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency.” A rating of 75 means that 75% of the fuel you place into your furnace gets burned and turned into heat. The remaining 25% goes to waste. So, the higher the AFUE, the better. Today’s furnaces commonly have 95-98 AFUE ratings.

At J.R. Bolton Services, we can help you identify the right furnace and fuel type to meet your needs so you stay efficient and comfortable. Just call 770.449.3692 or contact us online today to schedule your free estimate.

We serve all of Greater Atlanta, including Gainesville, Duluth, Norcross, Roswell, Suwanee, Peachtree Corners, Braselton, Commerce, Jefferson, Hoschton, and many others.

A quick intro to common furnace terminology

You already learned what “AFUE” means and how it works. Here’s some other common terms you may hear:

BTUs describes how much heat the furnace outputs. You’ll typically see it in thousands, like 80,000 BTU.
Configuration. “High-boy” furnaces have the blower under the heat exchange and are tall in appearance. “Low-boys” have the blower in back, making them shorter.
Combustion. You can get “sealed combustion” and “atmospheric combustion” furnaces. You’ll learn more about those below.

Sealed-combustion furnaces are highly efficient

With sealed-combustion furnaces, the combustion chamber is sealed so you have high control over the combustion process. Atmospheric combustion furnaces use air from inside your home to do combustion, but they have low efficiency of just 60-80%. Sealed combustion furnaces, ironically, have an air-intake pipe that uses air from outdoors to do their combustion. They have much greater efficiency, up to 95% or more.

If you have a plastic PVC pipe where your furnace vents exhaust, then you have a sealed combustion furnace. You may also notice a small amount of water heading to a floor drain that results from the heat condensing cycle.

As you might guess, homeowners routinely choose sealed-combustion furnaces over atmospheric ones. Besides keeping you comfortable at a reasonable cost, sealed combustion furnaces are not vulnerable to hazardous backdrafts which can put dangerous combustion gasses (including carbon monoxide) into your living space. Because of their greater efficiency, sealed combustion furnaces are also more environmentally friendly.

Upgrade your gas furnace to start saving today without sacrificing your comfort

With furnaces that burn at 95-96% efficiency commonly available at affordable prices for homeowners, calculate how much energy you could save versus your current furnace’s efficiency. What would a 10-20% reduction in your monthly gas bill look like?

Contact J.R. Bolton Services today to learn which type of furnace will fit your energy efficiency and comfort needs. Just call 770.449.3692 or contact us online.

We serve all of Greater Atlanta, including Alpharetta, Cumming, Suwanee, Dacula, Duluth, Commerce, Hoschton, Jefferson, Roswell, Buford, and many others.

Gas-fired furnaces must vent through a chimney and use air from your home to combust their fuel.

Contact us for efficient insulation in your home. Get a Quote Today